Posted on

How To Find a Professional Conservator

If you have an item that is in need of professional conservation treatment, there are a variety of options. The umbrella professional organization for conservators in the United States is known as AIC (American Institute for Conservation). They can help you find a local conservator, many of whom have private practices. There are several regional facilities which are well-respected and are happy to assist individuals as well as organizations without staff resources to treat their collections. These include the Northeast Document Conservation Center in Andover, MA, the Conservation Center for Art and Historic Artifacts in Philadelphia, and the Conservation Center in Chicago, as well as others throughout the United States. If you are in Canada, we suggest contacting the conservation department at the Canadian Conservation Institute for suggestions.